FRISCO (CBSDFW.COM) – The sign on the corner of the Dallas North Tollway and Warren reads “Future Home of the Cowboys”, but for several Frisco high school students they look out on the undeveloped 91-acre site and see their future.
“I get real excited every time I drive by,” said Jack Anderson, a sophomore offensive tackle for Frisco High School.
On Friday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones led a ceremonial ground breaking on his new multi-million dollar team headquarters and multi-use facility in Frisco.
At the center of the project will be a 12,000-seat indoor stadium.
The Cowboys will practice there during the week, but on Thursday and Friday nights in fall it will be the home field to the seven Frisco high school football teams.
“I think it is awesome,” said Dawson Deaton, a sophomore tight end at Frisco High School. “I don’t think a lot of other schools have the same opportunity to play in such a nice stadium.”
This won’t be the first time a high school calls a professional stadium home. In fact, Frisco high schools already do – playing games at Toyota Stadium, the home of the FC Dallas professional soccer team.
However, no high school in Texas currently plays its home football games in a dome.
When Deaton and Anderson are seniors in 2016, their team will be the first.
“It’s huge,” said Anderson.
Frisco ISD is contributing $30-million for the project.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Romo Leaves Game After Hit To Back
- District Of Innovation = Flexibility For Schools & Opportunity For Students
- Grace In Action: Community Refuses To Give Up On Blind, Homeless Vet
- Do People’s Loud, Annoying Habits Drive You Nuts?
- DART Looks To Fast-Track The Cotton Belt Line To 2022
- Teen Made Corsicana Walmart His Home
- American Flags Found Burned, Police Search For Vandals
- FBI: 80 Percent Of Police Officers Are Overweight
- Gov. Perry & FAA Disagree About Requests To Fly Drones Over Border
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes