NEW YORK (AP) – Alec Baldwin took on a new role at the U.S. Open — the actor played a star athlete, snagging a stray ball that flew into the stands.
Baldwin was sitting in the front row behind the baseline Monday night when an out-of-bounds shot from Maria Kirilenko sailed over Maria Sharapova and bounced into the seats. He flawlessly fielded the ball on one hop.
“I don’t play tennis well, but I can catch a slow-moving tennis ball,” Baldwin told former star Pam Shriver of ESPN.
Rather than keep the tennis souvenir, Baldwin tossed it to a ball boy as the crowd cheered. Some of Baldwin’s pals must have seen the grab, because he spent the next few minutes busy looking at his cellphone.
The “30 Rock” actor made his play four days after comedian Chris Rock wound up with a foul ball at Yankee Stadium in a game between the Houston Astros and New York Yankees. Rock gave that prize to a young boy.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ezekiel Elliott Pop-Up Store Appears In Dallas
- Andrew Landry Wins Texas Open For First PGA Tour Title
- Rangers Avoid Series Sweep With 7-4 Win Over Mariners
- Southwest Airlines Cancels Flights For Fan Blade Inspections
- Man Hailed As ‘Hero’ After Wrestling Rifle Away From Waffle House Shooter