NEW YORK (AP) – Alec Baldwin took on a new role at the U.S. Open — the actor played a star athlete, snagging a stray ball that flew into the stands.
Baldwin was sitting in the front row behind the baseline Monday night when an out-of-bounds shot from Maria Kirilenko sailed over Maria Sharapova and bounced into the seats. He flawlessly fielded the ball on one hop.
“I don’t play tennis well, but I can catch a slow-moving tennis ball,” Baldwin told former star Pam Shriver of ESPN.
Rather than keep the tennis souvenir, Baldwin tossed it to a ball boy as the crowd cheered. Some of Baldwin’s pals must have seen the grab, because he spent the next few minutes busy looking at his cellphone.
The “30 Rock” actor made his play four days after comedian Chris Rock wound up with a foul ball at Yankee Stadium in a game between the Houston Astros and New York Yankees. Rock gave that prize to a young boy.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Students Get Juneteenth History Lesson
- Man Mowing Lawns Across US Makes Stop In Dallas
- Sen. Cruz Introduces Bill To Keep Illegal Immigrant Families Together
- Dallas Homicide Victim Identified, No Suspect In Custody
- Search Continues For Men Who Beat, Robbed Two People In Deep Ellum