OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) – Authorities have identified the man accused of fatally stabbing an Oklahoma City police dog before he was shot to death by the dog’s handler.
Police said Tuesday that 22-year-old Mark Salazar of Blue Mound, Texas, stabbed a police dog named Kye, then was shot to death Sunday by the dog’s handler. The 3-year-old German shepherd died Monday of a heart attack after undergoing emergency surgery.
Police say the dog was deployed after a high-speed police chase through two counties. The dog’s handler, Sgt. Ryan Stark, has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal review.
Oklahoma City police say a funeral for Kye will be held Thursday at First Southern Baptist Church in Oklahoma City. The department says the service will be conducted with “full police honors.”
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Doctors Find Surgical Sponges Left In Woman For At Least 6 Years
- Gonzaga Rounding Into Form At Perfect Time
- When NBA Returns, Will Warriors’ Dominance Come Back, Too?
- Texas, Alabama, Florida Set To Hold Executions On Same Night
- 5 Guys Who Could Shine At NFL Combine