Texas Tech’s Williams Moves From RB To LB
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — Texas Tech’s leading rusher the past two seasons will be on the other side of the ball this year.
Kenny Williams will start at outside linebacker for the Red Raiders this season after asking his coaches about switching positions.
Defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt says it will be difficult for running backs to get around the 5-11, 228-pound senior.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury says Williams could also still be used on offense occasionally.
The switch to linebacker came with its challenges but Williams says the position is a mirror position to running back and he’s steadily picked up the team’s defensive schemes and learned the new terminology.
He’ll also be part of Texas Tech’s special teams.
The Red Raiders open their season at home against Central Arkansas on Saturday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Vet Ticketed For Walking On Wrong Side Of Street
- Uber Driver Arrested For Alleged Sexual Assault Of Customer
- Warning About Drones Used In Terrorist Attacks
- Fan Collapses Before Astros Game
- Man’s Car Burglarized After He Was Likely Followed From Bank