Friday Quick Hits With Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones
DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – Cowboys owner Jerry Jones joined the G-Bag Nation on Friday following the team’s 27-3 loss in the preseason finale to Denver.
He covered a lot of ground, so let’s dig into the highlights from his conversation.
– Does it matter that the Cowboys finished the preseason winless at 0-4?
“I’d like to think that it doesn’t.”
“You could say that you’d like to see some guys out there that haven’t played for us on the field, that have been limited because of injury. That’s my bigger disappointment than the record that we’ve had in the preseason.”
– Do you feel like the ESPN OTL piece was an accurate portrayal of you?
“I think the writer got his facts accurate when it was a need to have an accurate fact. Did he interpret, portray the nature of the time we spent together? He did it through his eyes. That’s fine. That’s what we bargained for.”
– Is there anything you didn’t like about the article?
“There was a ton of emphasis on drinking Johnny Walker Blue. It is intended to make it colorful, make it have some zing to it. It did occupy a lot of that material, having drinks…That surprised me a little bit, dwelling in that particular area.”
“Well, [Johnny Walker Blue] is good when you are in the right frame of my mind.”
– Describe your relationship with Jimmy Johnson.
“Jimmy came to my birthday party and also came to mine and Jean’s 50th anniversary. He got up and spoke and said, ‘I’ve know these two for 50 years.’ That’s what it is. It has a lot of things about it. I think that if anybody reads that article, you’ll see that I readily will say that many of the things that didn’t work there were certainly my fault. And I see that…I just wasn”t as tolerant as I could be. I don’t know that that’s a bad thing. It takes two to tango on this stuff.”
– On the Cowboys trimming the roster to 53 by Saturday.
“Last night after the game, I sat there with our personnel people and Stephen. For the most part, approximately 22 to 24 of our players, we made that list last night. We’re going to have a meeting [Friday morning]. That list has already been made. There may be four or so players that we don’t talk to today — we wait until deadline time tomorrow. Many of these players will go on our practice squad.”
– Have you heard from the league on Josh Brent?
“I’ve really been hoping that it will be now, as we get to this cut time. I had thought really that the early part of this week, we’d get the conditions and the decision. I don’t have it as of our show here.”
– Are you worried about a punishment for tampering with Adrian Peterson?
“I don’t think so. You have to initiate that.”
“I’m not trying to make excuses at all…I talked to him about his daddy, about his family; how much I admire him; how much I admire him as both a player and a person…That doesn’t fit anything that I’m aware of that can be interpreted as tampering — cause we weren’t.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Injured Vietnam Vet Still Fighting To Get Purple Heart
- Texas Health Commissioner Still On Job After Scathing Report
- Fort Worth Fire Dept Makes Quick Work Of 3-Alarm Motel Fire
- 30 Players: Baseball’s Top Prospect Bryant Won’t Wait Long For Cubs Debut
- New Parkland Hospital Hopes To Give Patients A Comforting Experience