ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – A huge explosion in the garage of an Arlington home rattled houses around it and left one man dead.
“I had gone to bed a little before 11 o’clock, the best I remember,” said Tommy Glenn who lives near the house on Hedgeapple Drive where the explosion happened. “My wife. She was in the living room. And shoot! That like to blew me out of bed.”
Glenn and other neighbors ran to the scene. They found Dustin Louis, 23, lying in the front yard with burns over 80 percent of his body.
“He kept trying to get up and I told him ‘Dustin, just lay down. Lay back’,” Glenn recalled. Somebody had threw a throw rug out there and we made kind of a pillow for him. And just, ‘Lay back! We’ll take care of you.”No, I need my phone.’ I said, ‘No, you don’t need your phone right now.’ He said, ‘Where’s Jared?’ That was the fellow who was in the garage.”
Police said Jared Backus, 24, a long time friend of Louis, was found dead in the garage.
The ATF was called in to assist the Arlington Fire Department with the investigation.
Early indications are the men were removing gunpowder from illegal fireworks.
fire officials didn’t say what the two planned on doing with the gunpowder.
Family members say they can’t imagine the two men were up to anything sinister.
“Knowing my nephew I’ve never seen him do anything wrong,” said Travis Kaufman, Louis’ uncle. “He’s always been a great kid.”
“That’s what Dustin himself told me, the kid who was laying on the lawn, they were trying to dispose of fireworks,” Glen said.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Arlington Police Adding Body Cams
- Deep Ellum Bands Together to Keep Area Safe And Thriving
- Beltre Blast In 9th Beats Indians
- Billy Bob’s Texas Lawsuit Pits Father Against Son Over Ownership
- Worker Electrocuted Cleaning Hot Tub At Fort Worth Apartment Complex