NASCAR Will Let Tony Stewart In Chase With Win
HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) – NASCAR says Tony Stewart will be allowed to compete in the Chase for the Sprint Cup Championship if he qualifies despite missing three races following the death of a sprint car driver at a New York track.
NASCAR President Mike Helton said Friday that Stewart would need to win at Atlanta on Sunday night or at the regular-season finale next week in Richmond to lock up a spot in the championship.
Stewart will race this weekend for the first time since the Aug. 9 death of Kevin Ward Jr. at an upstate New York dirt track. He was struck and killed by Stewart’s car as he walked on the track during the race to confront the NASCAR veteran over being spun one lap earlier.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Spurs & Leonard Close To 5-Year Deal
- Jennifer Garner & Ben Affleck Getting Divorce
- A Closer Look At Bush’s Tax Returns
- Christie Makes Pragmatic Pitch To Voters
- Big Names, Big Teams In Pursuit As NBA Free Agency Opens