NASCAR Will Let Tony Stewart In Chase With Win
HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) – NASCAR says Tony Stewart will be allowed to compete in the Chase for the Sprint Cup Championship if he qualifies despite missing three races following the death of a sprint car driver at a New York track.
NASCAR President Mike Helton said Friday that Stewart would need to win at Atlanta on Sunday night or at the regular-season finale next week in Richmond to lock up a spot in the championship.
Stewart will race this weekend for the first time since the Aug. 9 death of Kevin Ward Jr. at an upstate New York dirt track. He was struck and killed by Stewart’s car as he walked on the track during the race to confront the NASCAR veteran over being spun one lap earlier.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bootleg Silicone Injections Nets Woman 16 Months In Prison
- Texas Plans To Gradually Increase STAAR Passing Standards
- Texas Inmate Set For Execution For Killing Man In $8 Robbery
- Plane Wreckage Found In East Texas Lake
- Truck Driver In Monday’s Deadly Crash Identified