Second-Seeded Halep Loses To Qualifier At US Open
NEW YORK (AP) — Second-seeded Simona Halep’s recent run of Grand Slam success ended with a third-round exit at the U.S. Open against a 32-year-old qualifier ranked 121st.
Halep, the runner-up at the French Open and a semifinalist at Wimbledon, had seven-double faults and only 17 winners in a 7-6 (6), 6-2 loss to Mirjana Lucic-Baroni of Croatia.
Halep was trying to make the fourth round at Flushing Meadows for the second year in a row.
But Lucic-Baroni outplayed her, totaling 31 winners, to get back to the fourth round at a Grand Slam tournament for the first time since she was a Wimbledon semifinalist as a teenager in 1999.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Keidel: Money, Mayhem And Madness
- Dwight Howard’s Physical Play Irks Mavs’ Carlisle
- Short But Powerful Storm Rips Through Parts Of Arlington
- Winds, Lightning, Flash Floods, Hail
- Rockets Escape Dallas 130-128; Take 3-0 Series Lead