Second-Seeded Halep Loses To Qualifier At US Open
NEW YORK (AP) – Second-seeded Simona Halep’s recent run of Grand Slam success ended with a third-round exit at the U.S. Open against a 32-year-old qualifier ranked 121st.
Halep, the runner-up at the French Open and a semifinalist at Wimbledon, had seven-double faults and only 17 winners in a 7-6 (6), 6-2 loss to Mirjana Lucic-Baroni of Croatia.
Halep was trying to make the fourth round at Flushing Meadows for the second year in a row.
But Lucic-Baroni outplayed her, totaling 31 winners, to get back to the fourth round at a Grand Slam tournament for the first time since she was a Wimbledon semifinalist as a teenager in 1999.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Nowitzki, Mavericks Roll Over Lakers 140-106
- Ex-State Senator, UT Vice Chancellor Farabee Dies
- 11 Indicted In Dallas-Area Drug Ring, Ties To Jail
- Feds Get Case Involving Alleged Child Porn Scheme
- Dallas Infant Dies Waiting For Transplant