Texas Honors Hurt & Fallen First Responders
AUSTIN (AP) – Gov. Rick Perry has honored dozens of police officers, firefighters and first responders killed or severely hurt in the line of duty with Star of Texas awards.
The awards were distributed during a somber ceremony Wednesday at the Texas Capitol.
The Star of Texas Award was created to honor police and other emergency personnel who exhibited extraordinary service to the state. Nearly 400 have been distributed since the program began in 2004.
Perry is seriously considering a presidential run in 2016 after his White House bid three years ago flamed out. He spent Tuesday in Iowa, which opens presidential primary voting.
The governor’s popularity nationally has only increased with the GOP’s conservative base since he was indicted last month on felony charges of abuse of power.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diahann Carroll Honored By TBAAL For Work
- TCU Security Guard Arrested For Improper Photography
- Over 300 Birds Seized From Alleged Cock Fighting Operation
- Johnson Co. Residents Clean Up After Storm Hits
- Amber Alert Canceled After 3 Children Found In Houston