IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) – All Irving schools will hold earthquake drills on Wednesday after the area has been hit with ten earthquakes in less than 24 hours.
The school district will create a video that students will watch before the drill, instructing them to drop, cover and hold on. The video will be posted to the district’s YouTube channel and the drills will take place before the end of the day.
“The safety of our students and staff is always our top priority. Like many residents, we are following the recent earthquakes that have been felt in Irving and surrounding cities,” said Lesley Weaver, Irving ISD Director of Communications in a written statement. “In Irving ISD, we are prepared. We have earthquake procedures in place and are continuing to educate our students and staff on the proper actions to take during and after earthquakes.”
Irving ISD says because of the string of recent earthquakes, it will add earthquake drills into the district’s safety plan, in the same way fire drills and tornado drills are practiced throughout the year.
CBS 11 has also confirmed that Dallas ISD will hold district wide earthquake drills. Though all the earthquakes have been centered in Irving, people in Dallas have also reported feeling the quakes.
CBS 11 also reached out to Colleyville-Farmers Branch ISD, who said it will emphasize the current earthquake procedures already in place. The picture below shows the district’s current plan.
Coppell ISD said it also already has earthquake procedures in place and will hold a meeting this afternoon to review those procedures.
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Ronaldo Makes More History As Portugal Tops Morocco At World Cup
- Gatorade Is Going Sugarless For The First Time In History
- FDA Backs Off ‘Added Sugar’ Label For Maple Syrup & Honey
- Starbucks To Accelerate U.S. Store Closings Next Year
- Disney Increases Its Bid For Fox To More Than $70 Billion
- Good Samaritan Gunman Stops Assault In Progress
- Good Samaritan Who Stopped Assault Breaks Silence
- Keurig Recalls Millions Of Coffee Brewing Machines
- Mother Of Denton Break-In Suspect Speaks
- Fort Worth 17-Year-Old Arrested For Terrorist Threat