CO Detectors Installed, Students To Return To Lakewood Elementary
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Kids will be going back to Lakewood Elementary on Friday. It will be the first time students, faculty and staff are allowed back in the Dallas school since a carbon monoxide leak forced an evacuation on Tuesday.
Some safety changes have been made, but not as many as some parents would like.
School officials have installed a carbon monoxide detector on a boiler in the basement. The action was taken to ease parents concerns after the carbon monoxide leak and build up forced school to be cancelled the past three days.
Some Lakewood parents when to Dallas Independent School District administration Thursday demanding that CO detectors be installed. Parents even offered to buy the devices.
School officials later announced that a detector was installed and the boilers will be monitored.
Still, some parents say the incident exposed one of many safety issues inside the aging school.
Lakewood Elementary PTA President Shannon West told CBS 11 News, “We have had overcrowding issues, we have bathroom issues, [and] we have points of entry issues. I just can’t express enough how we need this school fixed!”
The Lakewood Elementary principal sent out a letter Thursday announcing the boiler repairs and invited parents to attend a meeting at the school at 8:10 a.m. Friday, just before kids come back to finish a very short week.
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)