AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) – During the month of May the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) continues to have an increased reward for information leading to the capture of a convicted murderer.
Jose Fernando Bustos-Diaz, wanted for escape and unlawful flight, was convicted for a murder in 2005 while he was working as a ranch hand in Harris County. He was sentenced to 35 years in prison, but in 2010 escaped from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Briscoe Unit in Dilley, located about 70 miles from San Antonio.
Bustos-Diaz stands 5’8″ tall and weighs about 195 pounds. He has bad acne scaring on his face and birthmarks on his chest. He also has several tattoos, including a heart with a cross on the webbing of his left hand; the name “Vanessa” with one dot on the inside of his left wrist; and the name “Lizeth” on the inside of his right wrist.
Officials believe Bustos-Diaz, 27, may have fled to Mexico, but stress that he should be considered armed and dangerous.
Anyone with information about Bustos-Diaz’ escape or knows his whereabouts can provide information in a number of ways —
• Call the Crime Stoppers hotline at (800) 252-TIPS (8477)
• Text the letters DPS and then your tip to 274637 (CRIMES) from your cell phone
• Submit a web tip through the DPS website by selecting the fugitive you have information about, and then clicking the link under the picture
• Tips can also be submitted on Facebook, just click the “SUBMIT A TIP” link underneath the “About” section
• Submit a tip through the DPS Mobile App. Mobile is available for iPhone users through the Apple App Store and for Android users on Google Play.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)