NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Whether you’re trying to earn a few bucks, getting rid of your old stuff, or both; a garage sale can do the trick as long as you know the tricks. Experts say the same principles used to run a successful business are easily applied to yard sales.
Here’s our top 5 tips to having a successful garage sale.
1. Advertise online – Putting up flyers is a good start and putting out a yard sale sign is a must, but if you really want to drive in traffic, post your yard sale announcement on Craigslist or websites dedicated to yard sales, such as yardsalesearch.com. Make sure you mention the types of items you’re offering and pictures are a plus.
2. Open early – The best day for a yard sale is Saturday and experts say start early. Serious buyers will be ready to go at the crack of dawn. Between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. are the busiest hours.
3. Price it right – Remember garage sale buyers are bargain hunters. As a general rule price most items roughly 75 percent off the original price and then be willing to negotiate down. Everyone want to feel as if they are getting a good deal. The biggest mistake you can make when it comes to pricing is leaving off a price tag.
4. Hand out bags – Research show when shoppers have a bag in their hand, they tend to buy more. Marketing expert Jeremy Gregg said, “It’s strange, but the psychology of having a bag in your hand that somebody gave you, you almost feel compelled to fill it.”
5. Give away coffee – Bigger sales are better, which is why experts say consider doing a garage sale with friends and neighbors. Plus, Gregg said that makes the sale seem fun. One way to do this is by offering your customers free coffee. Gregg said, “The number one thing is how can I get this person to stay as long as possible and I think refreshments are the way to go.”
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)