With 1.71-billion active users there’s a good chance you have a Facebook page. Even daily users are unaware of all the new features and privacy settings offered by Facebook.
“I’ve had so many people ask me how did you do that,” said Dr. Janet Johnson as she pointed out some of the lesser known Facebook features.
Dr. Johnson is a social media expert at the University of Texas – Dallas. She said the most common mistake people make when it comes to Facebook is not adjusting the default settings.
“I think a lot of people just rely on the defaults of Facebook. Don’t! Go in and customize it,” she explained.
With Dr. Johnson’s expertise, here’s our top five surprising Facebook tips:
1. Download your Facebook history – Facebook keeps track of everything you’ve ever done on the social media site and now there’s a way to download all this data. You will find the option to download Facebook data under the settings tab. You can save this information onto a zip drive. This is an easy way to have access to all the pictures you’ve ever posted on Facebook.
2. Review tagged pictures before they show up on your timeline – Have you ever had an unflattering picture that a friend tagged you on show-up unexpectedly on your timeline? There’s a setting most don’t know about that will prevent pictures you’ve been tagged on from automatically showing up on your timeline. Under settings, go to the timeline menu, and then turn on the review option. This way you’ll have a chance to approve any picture before it’s posted on your timeline
3. Send money – This is new for Facebook and a part of its effort be an all-encompassing app. Using a debit card, you can now use Facebook Messenger to sent and receive money. The money you send is transferred right away with no fees and goes directly into a debit card account entered by the recipient.
4. Add a pronunciation guide to your name – Facebook has a solution for people who mispronounce your name. At the top of your Facebook page, select “about” and then “details about you”. Here you will find multiple Facebook generated pronunciations of your name. Select the correct one and then when people check-out your Facebook page, there will be an audio pronunciation button on your page directing them to the proper way to say your name.
5. Stop Facebook from generated those targeted ads – Facebook tracks nearly everything you do on the Internet and then uses the information along with algorithms to create custom ads that appear on your Facebook page. To opt out go to settings and then click on ads. Here you can select edit and turn off the customized ads. However, don’t be fooled. This will not stop Facebook from gathering information on you and it will it stop you from seeing ads altogether. The ads just won’t be based on everything you do online.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)