Police Reveal Fears In National Survey

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

DALLAS (CBS11) – The Pew Research Center released results from the National Police Research Platform survey of 8,000 police officers and sheriff’s deputies.

They were offered questions about attitudes and experiences of their work environment.

“Do we feel we’re targeted right now? Yes,” said a 12-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department after a question about police safety. The question was posed after the release of the national survey.

In one segment of questioning, 93 percent of polled officers surveyed said they were more concerned about their safety today than in the past.

“Yes, it’s more dangerous, now you have officers watching their backs, even with your family, because the bad guys get to know you, they may see you at the mall, the movies, there’s a heightened awareness,” veteran Dallas PD officer George Aranda said.

The survey also highlighted elevated concerns police have over protests nationwide against police-involved shootings of African-American men.

Seventy-five percent of those polled, said interactions with black citizens have become more tense.

Thomas Glover is President of the Black Police Association of Greater Dallas. He said protests of isolated accusations of police brutality or misconduct don’t define the majority of police officer’s actions, and police shouldn’t negatively categorize black citizens as the cause of safety concern, based on protests.

“Officers do have the perception that a particular community May be upset. It doesn’t sit well with me as a veteran police officer. I do believe that safety consciousness is at an all time high now. We had one of the worst incidents in the history of policing in Dallas, but we have to make sure we don’t do it (elevate police safety concern) just in the black neighborhood,” he said.

(©2017 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More from Steve Pickett
Comments

1. Kim A Kirk says:

Who are the 7%???

1. Churyl Minne says:

Management who doesn’t have to face the black community.

1. Paul King says:

Well written, Churyl, and so true!

2. Continue to do your good job officer, we the sane people America support you.

3. Paul Roberts says:

With the Black lives matter protesters that are not treated as criminals for shutting down interstate highways and always there to shoot off their mouths before ALL THE FACTS are out, can you blame them? Cops are under a microscope and departments all over the country are having trouble hiring cops now. Who wants to be judged by racist organizations whose goal is to cause civil unrest, looting, property damage?
    No apologies from BLM when they are wrong. There are no apologies from BLM for deaths caused by ambulances not being able to get through the blocked freeways because BLM sees it fit to create a dangerous situation for others. Another self-serving racist organization like the New Black Panthers, Rainbow coalition. You never hear these organizations criticize a Black man for knocking out or killing a white man. Support the local Police. that is who you will call in an emergency!

4. Hank Naizer says:

And thing will get worse after Jan 20 when ex-president Obama, the organizer, will be free to make havoc.

5. I always knew Obama was a Kenyan Communist, but ya gotta hand it to him.
    In 8 years, the Dow is up about 150%; Osama bin Laden was killed; 90% of our troops are finally home; gas prices are lowest in decades; housing market has recovered; auto industry is most profitable ever; Federal deficit is down by 2/3; we are now exporting energy to other countries; we can do business with Cuba’s market…..Jeezz….. I hope Trump is that successful.

1. lol, a record 45 million people are on food stamps, 95 million are out of the work force, Race relations are as bad as I witnessed in the early 70’s which was bad, cops are getting gunned down and targeted, Obama’s stupidity pulling our troops out of Iraq 2 years too soon created ISIS, Hillary and Obama lied about an American Ambassador getting tortured and murdered the first time since the Carter era, Heroin dealers are running rampant across the country, Chicago had 762 murders and 4,500 gun shootings the most since the 90’s, China is getting aggressive, Russia invaded Ukraine, Christians are being wiped out in the middle east….time to wake up…

2. 20 TRILLION in debt….loan me 13 trillion and I bet that I could make things look good to

6. Ho Jo says:

Obama said recently race relations has improved under his administration. Even though Obama has repeatedly made racist comments and have made conclusions without first examining all the evidence.

7. Send more Police officer’s badges to the White House for Obama’s collection….Obama started this WAR on Police.

The treatment police officers get from liberals in this country is sickening. As if anyone would want to stay on the force after the hatchet job the liberal media, Obama, Holder, and Sharpton do to them!

When we elected President Obama, weren’t we promised “hope and change”?

Obama has destroyed our economy. Everyone is under-employed and can’t afford to live. We must now purchase health insurance we cannot afford and do not want or need (mine is $450/month… contrast this to my $25/month auto insurance from Insurance Panda… or my $9/month renters insurance… both private-enterprise!)

Obama’s plan for America is playing out. City after city will experience the same thing until he gets public approval for martial law. And please don’t say it won’t happen because for the last 6+ years we have watched our Constitutional rights being taken away little by little.

8. Mark Todd says:

i don’t blame them. thanks again obama. creating ISIS wasn’t enough for you. you had to destroy race relations in the US and make police targets of the low lifes scurrying around our cities on their bellies. great legacy.

9. What sane person would want to be a police officer in today’s Alice in Wonderland America where good is evil, up is down and black is white! Nationwide police strike coming soon! AND I DON’T BLAME THEM!

10. Kerwin Hieb says:

I can understand their fears. I’m not a cop but, due to the way Obola has changed race relations in this country, I now carry my pistol whenever I go into an area with a large number of blacks. I don’t like it but that’s how it is…

11. De Leweye says:

I’m a middle-aged Southern white male, the same Goldwater conservative I’ve always been. If a civilian spoke to me the same way the average big-city cop has in the last twenty or so years, I’d backhand the fool into the next world. It’s not Obama and it’s not Black Lives matter. In large part its this idiotic “War on Drugs” and the even-more-paranoid “War on Terror” that have destroyed civil liberties and turned the neighborhood cop into a militarized bully occupying hostile territory. When I first got to know some metro cops, I couldn’t believe how sure they were that most people viewed them as the enemy – until I saw how they treated the people they are sworn to “protect and serve”. It’s the same with government in general: Until we have enough ornery, independent citizens – white and black – ready to demand competent, professional government services, the rot will continue to get worse.

12. This will begin to change in about a week

13. jasonn13 says:

Folks who think they are exempt from obeying the laws because of their skin color are in for a rude awakening.

14. Since the black community is so outraged about police working in their neighborhoods, easy enough have to police stay out of those areas and let them fend for themselves

15. The Obama Legacy! HE spent 8 years demonizing and denigrating police, then suddenly wonders why “race relations” aren’t better?

16. I just loved it the other day when Obama said race relations were so much better. He must live in some kind of fantasy world. Race relations are much worse since he took over. Everyone that has the gift or even a smidgen of honesty knows it. I don’t leave my house with out protection like mace and a stun gun during the day and a gun in the evening. They may take me out but I guarantee you. I wont be alone when I talk to ST. Peter as I will take several of them with me.

17. Paul King says:

Trump will support the cops rather than the criminals.

18. Suibne Geilt says:

put low retta in jail AND her boss

19. Thank Obama for creating this toxic atmosphere and distrust for local police. Instead of improving race relations he has done just the opposite.

20. In my family, if a cop had to dress down my son for littering, I would be dealing with my son, not with the cop. This whole incident is part of a concerted effort on the part of the leftists in America to convert Ft. Worth from a wholesome, safe and clean environment to a cesspool where the low life thugs can despoil and thrive.

21. Morons! Those “communities” are where the crime is. Be vigilant when going there = common sense. Soon, like France and Belgium, we will have “no-go” zones and those “communities of color” will be the ones to suffer. Dial 911 but don’t expect swift response.

22. sanddab says:

Police have a reserve of thousands of militia members in each city. Easy call for Donald to make.

23. Paul Parson says:

So black lies matter says all police officers are bad… So does that mean all black people are bad?? It’s the same narrative black lies matter is offering.

24. I don’t know how, but obama managed to turn the racial clock back about 70 years in just 8 years…

25. What sane person would want to be a police officer in any major city today!

26. Dale McCan says:

At least President Jesse Sharpton will be leaving soon and we won’t have someone in the White House doing all he can to fan the flames of racial hatred. Obuttnugget, don’t let the door hit you on the way out. There is now a chance that the highest level of government will again respect cops instead of trying to get them killed.

27. James Tabone says:

All large cities in Texas are having a very difficult time hiring young people to join police departments. You can thank Barak Hussein for demeaning policing and encouraging young street thugs to continue wreaking havoc in our neighborhoods.

28. Whew!!! It’s a good thing race relations have improved so much under the regime of the manchurian mulatto.

29. “Anti-racists” say there’s a RACE problem. They say it’ll be solved when non-Whites pour into ALL & ONLY White nations and “assimilate” to get a brown mixture.

They say only White nations have this RACE problem; they say non-White nations are fine.

If I object to my own genocide these “anti-racists” say I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they’re anti-racist. What they are is anti-White.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White.

30. Yawn…. This is a police union generated survey and reflects their unethical demeanor as usual with taxpayers who they often extort and threaten with myths of the violent Black American rant.
    BLM