By Shawn S. Lealos
When it comes to feeding kids healthy meals once school starts, things are not always easy for parents. Breakfasts have to be fast and quick to make because school lunches are either pre packaged or the kids are at the mercy of the school lunch system. With that said, there is no reason that parents can’t make sure to send their kids off to school after a nutritional and healthy breakfast every morning. Here is a look at some great breakfast ideas for your kids from Stephanie Knoop of Burn Boot Camp Flower Mound that are so good your kids won’t believe they are healthy.
Burn Boot Camp Flower Mound
1050 Flower Mound Road
Flower Mound, TX 75028
Stephanie Knoop is the Owner and Head Trainer at Burn Boot Camp Flower Mound in the DFW area. Burn offers nutritional guidance to help families eat healthier. Knoop is a busy working mom of four who proves that “personal trainer” type food is good for the whole family and doesn’t have to be bland and boring. Her and her husband, Travis, recently relocated their family to the Dallas-Fort Worth area after experiencing the impact Burn had on her family. She hopes to empower other women through the same experience.
Sweet Potato Egg Casserole
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 8 egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Get started by cooking the turkey in a large skillet, and then adding in the peppers and onions.
- Coat the bottom of a baking dish with diced sweet potatoes and layer the cooked turkey mixture.
- Beat the eggs together and pour into the baking dish and season with salt/pepper.
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until egg mixture is baked through.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Mini-Egg White Cups
- Egg whites (Pre-Mixed in carton is best)
- Coconut Oil spray
- Fresh Veggies (peppers, onions, spinach, mushroom, asparagus, etc.)
- Protein of your choice (Lean Turkey, Grass-fed Bacon, Sausage, Ham)
- To prepare, chop up all your veggies and cooked meats.
- Using a mini-size muffin sheet, spray coconut oil to avoid sticking and add equal parts of vegetables/protein into each cup, filling about 3/4 of the way.
- Pour egg white mixture into muffin cups filling all the way. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until egg white cups are crispy on the edges.
Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
- 1 Scoop Shaklee Energizing protein powder
- 2 Egg Whites
- Cinnamon Spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 cup almond flour or meal
- 1/4 almond milk
- Raw Honey (optional)
- Almond Butter (optional)
- Preheat the griddle to medium heat. Mix protein, almond flour, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Add all wet ingredients together (eggs, pumpkin, and almond milk) and combine with dry ingredients.
- Spray griddle with Coconut Oil and pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle cooking 3-5 min. each side.
- Serve with a dollop of almond butter and drizzle raw honey on top with a dash of cinnamon
- Related: Best Breakfast Sandwiches In DFW
Gluten-Free Granola Bars
- 2 cups oatmeal, gluten-free
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal *
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit, processed or chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground/chopped hazelnuts or other nut of choice
- Honey to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Approx. 1/3 cup water – this will vary greatly
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line your baking pan with parchment or a silicone baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except honey and water.
Add your desired amount of honey or other liquid sweetener and stir to combine.
- Add water sparingly until the mixture is moist and holds together when squeezed.
- Add the water slowly as you don’t want the mixture to be too wet. Pour the mixture into the pan and firmly press down into the pan.
- Really press down and make sure it is all compacted. Using a sharp knife, cut the bars into your desired shape.
- Pop the bars in the oven for around 25 minutes until the bars are golden brown.
Turkey, Apple And Goat Cheese Omelet
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- 1 small apple
- Dash of cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons goat cheese
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon strips for 4 minutes each side, until golden. While bacon cooks, dice the apple.
- Remove bacon strips from skillet, place on a cutting board.
- Place the apple pieces in the heated skillet and sauté for 5 minutes, sprinkling with a dash of cinnamon.
- Dice the bacon and place in a medium sized bowl. In a bowl whisk the egg whites, whole eggs and coconut milk.
- Beat the eggs until frothy and add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Remove apples from skillet and add to the bowl of bacon.
- Pour half of the egg mixture in the skillet, cook until set and then flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat with the other half of egg mixture.
- While eggs cook, mix the bacon, apples and goat cheese together.
- Fill each omelet with half of the bacon, apple and goat cheese mixture.
Related: Best Omelets In DFW