Native Texan Mireya Villarreal was born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley. After attending the University of Texas Pan-American on a tennis scholarship, her first on-air job was at KGNS in Laredo, covering sports as a weekend anchor/reporter. Her next move took her to back to the Rio Grande Valley, where she reported on crime, border violence and education at KRGV. Before joining CBS 11 News in January 2013, Mireya spent four years as an investigative reporter at WOAI in San Antonio.
As an investigative journalist, Mireya’s work has focused on consumer issues and exposing government corruption and waste. In San Antonio, she uncovered a barter system where city employees used Alamodome suites for their family and friends. In addition, her series of stories on retaining wall construction resulted in major changes by the city and county to better protect homeowners. And several of her stories on a neglected unincorporated neighborhood gained the attention and action of state lawmakers, who’ve already filed legislation that would give county leaders more power to go after absentee property owners. In 2012, her report on a real estate scam that targeted San Antonio homebuyers sparked legal investigations into two local companies and earned her a Lone Star Emmy. She’s also received two Texas Associated Press Awards for stories on immigration and child safety.
Mireya loves being outdoors, staying active and spending time with family and friends. She and her husband, Matthew Gideon, have a basset hound named Biggie.
The CBS 11 I-Team took a closer look at schools in our area, uncovering information on which districts have underground shelters, which don’t and why.
It’s against the law to buy a gun for someone who can’t get it on their own, like a convicted felon or someone who’s mentally ill.
Social media posts from Bryce Reed, the West first responder arrested for possessing bomb making materials, may give some insight into what he was thinking in the days after the explosion.
People like to read reviews online before buying a car or reserving a hotel room. But one website, once based right here in the metroplex, takes reviewing to the extreme.
Our CBS 11 I-Team found some North Texas teachers may actually be teaching their students how to cheat.
Security is top of mind for local race coordinators feeling the impact from this week’s bombings in Boston.
Today’s explosions in Boston led to heightened security across the country. It was evident at tonight’s Dallas Maverick’s game, where officers clearly increased their efforts to ensure fan safety.
The CBS 11 I-Team has been digging into the history of Cardinal Coach Line, Inc., its owners and safety regulations.
Some people living near the Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant are worried drought and increased water use could put them at risk.
Eric Williams has not been named a suspect in the murder of Mike and Cynthia McLelland or Mark Hasse. But the former Justice of the Peace was questioned by police and tested for gun residue.
The CBS 11 I-Team confirmed two attorneys have already thrown their names in the hat for the Kaufman DA vacancy.
The Kaufman County Sheriff’s Department removed the deputy guarding Mike McLelland’s home because he did not think that he needed it, and he did not want to waste taxpayer dollars.
- Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Athletics vs Rangers – May... CBS 11 Weather Day - May 22,... Dallas White Out Party - May...
- Athletics vs Rangers - May... Athletics vs Rangers - May... Tornado Aftermath In Moore HP Byron Nelson Championship...
- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series... Tigers vs Rangers - May 19,... Tigers vs Rangers - May 18,... Tigers vs Rangers - May 17,...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Dallas Comic Con 2013 Tigers vs Rangers - May 16,... Best Summer Dishes
Latest DFW News
- One Win Away, Bruins Not Looking At Past
- Blackhawks Look To Break Howard In Game 4
- Pens Take 3-1 Series Lead With 7-3 Rout Of Sens In Game 4
- In 0-3 Hole, Rangers Focusing On First Step Against Bruins
- Kings In LA For Pivotal Game 5 Against Sharks
- GameStop’s Q1 Net Income Falls 25 Percent
- Canseco Avoids Assault Question, Challenges Shaq To Fight
- Report: Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony Has Partial Tear In Shoulder