The Texas Education Agency is laying off 178 employees this week as part of budget cuts ordered by the state Legislature.
School districts will be able to pay public school teachers less and furlough them without pay beginning in 2012 under a bill passed by the House on Thursday.
Many Texas teachers are getting behind a legislative bill that could spare cuts in education funding.
According to poll results released Tuesday by the nonpartisan Texas Lyceum group. more than one-fifth of Texans say education is the most important issue facing the state.
Texas Democrats never had much hope in this Legislature, where Republicans have a huge majority and an unshakeable drive to slash spending without raising taxes or dipping into the state’s giant savings account.
The Dallas Independent School District has a new assessment of its projected funding cuts from the state after the legislature announced a $4 Billion reduction in money to schools statewide.
The last pieces of the next two-year state budget is finally coming together, but funding it will still take some work. The budget conference committee should have the full budget deal approved by Thursday, setting up a weekend vote.
A group of students in a Navarro County town are sending a message to lawmakers in Austin, through music. They want the legislature to balance the state budget without cutting programs and teachers.
The budget-cutting axe may fall Tuesday night in Fort Worth. Hundreds of Fort Worth Independent School District teachers could lose their jobs following an evening school board meeting.
Fort Worth ISD is once again holding a special meeting to discuss potential budget cuts in the district as it faces a two-year deficit in the $80 Million range.
There’s been a compromise in Austin that may ease the financial strain for North Texas schools. It came as North Texas parents and students made the latest appeal, to use emergency funds, directly to the governor.
Thousands of teachers are protesting at the state Capitol against proposed cuts to public education and that group includes a caravan of DISD teachers, administrators and community leaders.
- Big Balls At Bombshells... Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Athletics vs Rangers – May... CBS 11 Weather Day - May 22,...
- Dallas White Out Party - May... Athletics vs Rangers - May... Athletics vs Rangers - May... Tornado Aftermath In Moore
- HP Byron Nelson Championship... NASCAR Sprint Cup Series... Tigers vs Rangers - May 19,... Tigers vs Rangers - May 18,...
- Tigers vs Rangers - May 17,... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Dallas Comic Con 2013 Tigers vs Rangers - May 16,...
Latest DFW News
- DISD School Board Appoves Plan To Dismiss Principals, Teachers
- TXDOT To Overhaul Central Expressway
- Montague Deputy Shot In Line Of Duty Returns To Work
- Brandon Carr Celebrity Softball Game
- Man Sentenced To 50 Years For Collin County Cold Case Murder
- Cowboys CB Brandon Carr Joins Ben & Skin
- Despite Tornado Damage Nat’l Polka Fest Kicks Off In Ennis
- North Texas Storm & Tornado Damage Could Reach $250 Million