A 79-year-old Oak Cliff woman succumbs to the North Texas heat and dies in her home just two days after reporting to police that her central air conditioner had been stolen.
The state’s electric grid operator is trying to prevent rolling blackouts this week, but they say it’s up to consumers to make it happen.
High school band camps started this week in many North Texas school districts. But this year the extreme heat has led to changes for what is usually a regimented schedule.
This year there has only been one heat-related death in Tarrant County, but there have been nine in Dallas. With forecasters predicting record-breaking heat this week, health workers are concerned the numbers will increase.
Humans aren’t the only ones languishing in the North Texas heat. The 30+ days of extreme heat and drought conditions have led to higher water temperatures and lower lake levels and fish are dying.
The triple-digit temperatures are taking a toll on North Texas drivers and their vehicles. The heat wave has meant busy days and nights at auto service centers, courtesy patrols and tow truck companies.
Monday is day 24 of temperatures above 100-degrees in North Texas. Increased usage also increases the likelihood of breakdowns, but the BBB warns that it’s ‘buyer beware’ when it comes to finding a repair company.
Wednesday’s temperature marked the 19th straight day with the thermometer over 100-degrees. So early into summer, the oppressive heat has already contributed to a number of deaths across North Texas.
“Oppressive”, “sticky” — words that can be used anywhere in the central U.S. Heat advisories and warnings were in place in 17 states, from Texas to Michigan, as temperatures and humidity combined to make being outside uncomfortable for millions.
Local health officials are warning about the North Texas heat and your health. Triple-digit temperatures tend to make people sick and the current heat wave is sending more people to the hospital.
It’s so hot in North Texas that the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is asking folks to cut back on power usage this afternoon.
The extreme heat pounding North Texas is wreaking havoc on roadways. Currently crews with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), are making at least one heat-related repair a week because of buckling.
- Athletics vs Rangers - May... Tornado Aftermath In Moore HP Byron Nelson Championship... NASCAR Sprint Cup Series...
- Tigers vs Rangers - May 19,... Tigers vs Rangers - May 18,... Tigers vs Rangers - May 17,... Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Dallas Comic Con 2013 Tigers vs Rangers - May 16,... Best Summer Dishes Severe Weather Aftermath: May...
- Severe Weather Pictures: May... CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Show Rangers vs Athletics - May... Dallas Cowboys Rookie Camp -...
Latest DFW News
- Amber Alert Issued For 10-Month-Old Girl
- Cowboys WR Dez Bryant: ‘I Found Myself’
- Knicks Unsure About Stoudemire’s Role
- Texas Baptist Men To Offer Cooked Meals, Comfort To Okla. Storm Victims
- Randolph, Grizzlies On The Rebound Again
- Romo Removes A Cyst From His Back – But Not The Monkey
- Clippers Head Coach Vinny Del Negro Out After 3 Seasons
- No Love Lost Between Pacers & Heat