An advocacy group says only two-thirds of Texans who may be eligible for food stamp assistance received the benefits in 2011.
More than 370 members of the clergy asked the Texas Legislature to boost funding for women’s health programs. Leaders of Methodist, Buddhist, Presbyterian, Jewish, Baptist and Unitarian congregations lobbied lawmakers for more spending.
Modern-day photographer Steve Liss has taken 43 TIME magazine covers. However, his latest subjects are a group that’s moved out of the spotlight: the 50 million Americans, millions of those Texans, who live in poverty.
Squeezed by rising living costs, a record number of Americans — nearly 1 in 2 — have fallen into poverty or are scraping by on earnings that classify them as low income.
According to a new report, the number of Dallas County children living below the poverty line is enough to fill Cowboys Stadium – more than twice!
According to new census numbers, 49 million Americans are now at the poverty level and tens of thousands of them live in North Texas.
Poverty is creeping into the suburbs and with it, services for those who are suddenly having trouble paying for basic necessities like food.
The state’s poverty rate , now at 17.3 percent, remained the nation’s 6th highest in 2009. The rate among Texas children also has increased since 2008.
Texas has the 11th richest member of Congress as well as some of the poorest.
- Namaste: Yoga Poses For... Athletics vs Rangers – May... CBS 11 Weather Day - May 22,... Dallas White Out Party - May...
- Athletics vs Rangers - May... Athletics vs Rangers - May... Tornado Aftermath In Moore HP Byron Nelson Championship...
- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series... Tigers vs Rangers - May 19,... Tigers vs Rangers - May 18,... Tigers vs Rangers - May 17,...
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Dallas Comic Con 2013 Tigers vs Rangers - May 16,... Best Summer Dishes
Latest DFW News
- Blackhawks Look To Break Howard In Game 4
- Pens Take 3-1 Series Lead With 7-3 Rout Of Sens In Game 4
- In 0-3 Hole, Rangers Focusing On First Step Against Bruins
- Kings In LA For Pivotal Game 5 Against Sharks
- GameStop’s Q1 Net Income Falls 25 Percent
- Canseco Avoids Assault Question, Challenges Shaq To Fight
- Report: Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony Has Partial Tear In Shoulder
- Funeral For Firefighter Killed In Dallas Blaze