Social Security number
The IRS is tackling a rapidly growing problem — tax-related identity theft. Last year, there were more than 640,000 incidents of tax fraud; most involving the theft of social security numbers to file false tax returns claiming monies due.
It’s a new scam that could affect you or someone you know. Identity thieves have found a way to steal recipients’ monthly social security checks — even before they arrive in their accounts.
After failing to pay rent, tax preparer Mary Calhoun was evicted and abandoned thousands of papers with sensitive information such as birthdates, social security numbers and bank information.
The state comptroller’s office says it has spent $1.8 million dealing with fallout from the public exposure of personal information, including Social Security numbers, of millions of Texans.
- Athletics vs Rangers – June... Photos From The 2013 Miss USA... "The Amazing Race" Casting... Athletics vs Rangers - June...
- Most Romantic US Honeymoon... Adrienne Bankert On "The Talk" Blue Jays vs Rangers – June... Blue Jays vs Rangers – June...
- Blue Jays vs Rangers – June... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Brandon Carr Celebrity... Blue Jays vs Rangers - June...
- Indians vs Rangers - June 12,... Indians vs Rangers - June 11,... Slater's IndyCar Ride-Along... Rangers vs Blue Jays – June...
Latest DFW News
- Suspect Fires At Irving Police, Officers Return Fire
- North Texas Man Getting Second Chance At Life
- The Adventures Of Nigel & Whippie: With Montez Bishara
- Will Animals Take Over?
- Idea For A New Rangers Movie
- Ben & Skin: Other Parts Of The Paper
- Killed Youth Pastor Remembered At Memorial
- Children Maced, Dog Killed At Fort Worth Apartment Complex