BASTROP (CBSDFW.COM) – There has been no rest for the weary. Little Elm firefighters Jeremy Wilson and Trent Espinosa have jumped from fire to fire. First, they tackled last week’s Possum Kingdom Lake fire. Now they find themselves in Bastrop.

The two firefighters battled a blaze in a heavily wooded area three miles east of downtown Bastrop. It’s an area where 70 percent of the homes have been destroyed. Their job is to make sure the remaining 30 percent stay standing.

READ MORE: Texas Amber Alert Ended After 6-Year-Old Amari Baylor Found Safe

White ash and smoke cover the once scenic area as wildfires have ravaged the land. The last of the flames continued to flicker Tuesday evening in the charred remains of homes and cars.

Just west of Bastrop, Strike Team 9 is making sure the job they did last night remains finished.

READ MORE: Cancer Worries Lead To Recall Of 'All Lots' Of Anti-Smoking Drug Chantix

This team of firefighters from Coppell, Flower Mound, Carrollton and DFW Airport saved 14 structures, including a church.

The fire spread so quickly Strike Team 9 returned to the scene to keep even a single spark from igniting yet another blaze.

MORE NEWS: Thousands Of Haitian Migrants Crowd Under Bridge To Wait In Texas Town On Mexican Border

The winds have calmed and firefighters have made progress, but responders from North Texas have no plans of leaving a hot zone that could ignite at any moment.