GRAND PRAIRIE (CBSDFW.COM) – Louise Hudspeth can’t believe what’s left after a fire destroyed much of her Grand Prairie house Wednesday morning.
“I cried,” the 83-year-old said. “I thought I lost everything.”
She was still inside and had no idea of the flames: “No, I had not smelled it.”
Hudspeth says she was in the shower, and forgot to remove the fudge she was making from the stove. But in her case, she really was saved by the bell.
Because a package of medicine wouldn’t fit in the mailbox, her letter carrier, Richard Talley, decided to ring her doorbell.
Hudspeth knew Talley was at the door because he had a special way of ringing the doorbell. When the door opened, he realized her house was on fire.
Hudspeth says, “He saved my life, he really did.”
Talley, a 26 year employee, says “I don’t know if I saved her life or not, I know God put me right here at this time.”
Hudspeth and her family wanted to thank Talley in person, so they arranged for him to visit her grandson’s home.
She told him, “Richard, you saved my life.”
Talley responded by saying, “I’m glad you’re OK.”
Hudspeth’s grandson, Jeff Copeland, credits Talley with saving his grandmother’s life, saying, “Without a doubt in my mind, my grandmother wouldn’t be here today.”
They all agree this was a most special delivery.
You see, Talley was running an hour later than usual.
“There’s no coincidences,” Copeland said. “God had his hand in this all day.”
They all gathered in prayer Wednesday to give thanks for this life-saving present – one that arrived just in time for Christmas.