DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A suspect has been arrested in the shooting of a Dallas Police officer, a spokesman confirmed Tuesday.

READ MORE: Christmas Tree Lighting Takes Place At Klyde Warren Park In Dallas Saturday, December 4

Jason Keith Yarborough was taken into custody. He faces charges of aggravated assault against a public servant with a deadly weapon.

Earlier in the day, and after hours of questioning a ‘person of interest’ in the shooting of a Dallas Police officer early Tuesday morning, the Dallas Police Department has determined the man is not the person who shot the officer.

The police officer, identified as Sr. Cpl. Matthew Wagner, was shot twice and is said to be stable at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas.

The shooting happened outside of an apartment complex in northeast Dallas just after midnight in the 6000 block of Pineland Drive, near Park Lane.

Police officials confirm that Wagner and Sgt. Rodney Choate were working off-duty security at the Wildflower Apartments when they approached a man who was sitting in a parked vehicle. The man was reportedly using binoculars and a police scanner in his van when officers made contact with him.

At some point soon after, the man opened fire, striking Wagner twice. Choate was not hurt.

READ MORE: Wrong Way Crash On I-30 Kills At Least One In Fort Worth

During a 4:00 a.m. news conference, Chief David Brown said that one of the bullets struck Wagner in the arm, shattering the bone. The other bullet hit the officer’s pepper spray canister, causing it to explode. The bullet moved on and lodged in the officer’s groin. “There were a total of three shots. Two of the shots hit Officer Wagner. One of the shots missed and lodged inside one of the cars parked in the parking lot. That third shot was as the suspect was running away,” Brown explained.

Brown was glad to report the wounded officer was able to be transported quickly, and his life saved.  “We feel so lucky that we are able to survive this and Officer Wagner can rehabilitate in the hospital and at home later,” said Brown.

Wagner’s wife posted a comment on her Facebook page on Tuesday morning. “Thank you God for being next to my husband last night. Now with God, Team Wagner will recover!”

The unidentified suspect fled from the scene on foot, losing his shoe and his gun in the process. A massive search from the air and on the ground was launched for the gunman. A police helicopter assisted along with officers on foot and canine units.

Police worked to secure search warrants for two of the apartments.  Three vehicles were towed from the apartment complex, including the suspect’s van.

The Dallas Police Association announced a $10,000 reward for information in the case.

MORE NEWS: Plumber Finds Cache Of Money Behind Loose Toilet In Wall At Joel Osteen's Lakewood Mega-Church

Also Check Out: