FLOWER MOUND (CBS 11 NEWS) – It was a deal Russell Kellner of Flower Mound says was too good to pass up.
“It was a heck of a deal.”READ MORE: Real Estate: Texas In Middle Of 'Record-Breaking Summer Selling Season'
Last month, on Black Friday, he says he and his wife bought three Troy Defense Carbine Semi-Automatic Rifles from Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Kellner says the store advertised them for $799 each, a $300 dollar discount.
They got two of them, then received this letter from Dick’s on Christmas Eve, telling customers, it’s not fulfilling any more orders.
Kellner says, “It ain’t a good deal when you don’t get it. So I’m not happy at all about it.”
Dick’s is telling customers it will give them a full refund.
It also sent Kellner a $100 gift card for the inconvenience.
A week before Christmas, Dick’s announced it was suspending sales of modern sporting rifles in all stores, out of respect for the victims of the Connecticut massacre.
But Kellner says Dick’s shouldn’t have changed policies until after filling orders.
“Do what you said. Do what you advertised. Make good on it.”READ MORE: Backyard Gathering Turns Bloody, Disgruntled Guest Killed By Bricks After Shooting Others
Troy Blackall says he and his wife paid for two of the Troy Carbines at Dick’s. They only got one.
Blackall says, “It’s unacceptable.”
He’s not impressed with the store’s refund and gift card.
“The guns have doubled and tripled in price now. So it’s not like we can get our money back and buy the guns someplace else.”
A Dick’s spokesman didn’t return calls to CBS 11.
But there’s talk online of a potential class-action lawsuit against the chain.
Blackall says, “I would sign onto that in a heartbeat.”
It’s not just customers. The manufacturer of the guns, Troy industries says on its Facebook page that it’s deeply dismayed and shocked that Dick’s stopped selling its rifle.
Troy’s CEO says the company invested millions of dollars into its operations after selecting Dick’s as the sole distributor of this particular rifle.MORE NEWS: Denied Small Business Owners Frustrated As $27B In COVID-19 Relief Remains Unused
Also Check Out: