FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A police officer was shot during a robbery investigation in east Fort Worth on Wednesday morning.

The incident started at about 6:30 a.m. when Officer Marty Stone responded to a holdup call at a Whataburger fast food restaurant near the intersection of Loop 820 and Brentwood Stair Road.  Officer Stone was nearby and quickly responded to the call.

“As the officer makes the scene he is being pointed across the street to what he felt was a suspect wearing a black hoodie,” explained Fort Worth Police Chief Jeff Halstead. Police say as the officer began to chase the suspect, who was either throwing money or had it falling out of his pockets.

Investigators say the suspect ducked between two houses, apparently trying to break into one of them to escape. As Officer Stone — a retired member of the Army and Iraq war veteran — approached the houses, police say the suspect suddenly appeared with a gun drawn.

Neighbor Kristi Taylor was at home when there was a commotion outside. “Both my husband and I were just waking up and we heard four to six shots,” she recalled. “So we immediately went to the windows to see what was going on.”

The shots Taylor heard were fired by both the suspect and the officer. Both were struck during the shootout. Officer Stone was hit in the right thigh, by one round from a semi-automatic pistol.

Bullets fired by Officer Stone hit the suspect several times. The suspect, whose name has not been released, was taken to the hospital in critical condition and later died. Police said that only the one suspect was involved in the robbery.

Officer Stone was able to take valiant steps to save himself. Fortunately for him, the Fort Worth Police Department had recently been issued emergency trauma care kits. Stone used his kit to put a tourniquet on his leg, possibly saving his life. Of his efforts before, during, and after the shooting Fort Worth PD spokesperson Kelly Peel said, “It was extremely critical. It was a very brave and bold move by the officer to keep his composure enough to treat his own injury and also engage the suspect.”

Officer Stone was transported to John Peter Smith Hospital, is stable, and expected to be okay.

Also Check Out: