NORTH RICHLAND HILLS (CBSDFW.COM) – Parents and law enforcement officers in both Hurst and North Richland Hills are on high alert Tuesday morning after several attempted child abductions. At least two students said that they were approached by a man on their way home from school.
Back on the afternoon of Halloween, an 8-year-old girl told police that a man tried to take her shortly after she got off of her school bus in North Richland Hills. She said that the man opened up the passenger door of his vehicle and told her to get inside.
“This is a great neighborhood. This is a great city,” said North Richland Hills resident David Sisk when he heard about the story. “I can’t imagine that there’s something like this going on here. It’s just shocking. It’s amazing. I don’t even know what to say.”
And then, just last week, a different young girl told authorities that a man tried to kidnap her twice. In this case, the 12-year-old student from Smithfield Middle School was walking home — again, just after being dropped off by her school bus — on Thursday afternoon. She noticed that a man in a black SUV was following her home.
However, the victim’s family did not report the man to police until Friday. That is when the girl said that it happened again, at the same time and place — near the intersection of Hurstview Drive and Springhill Drive in Hurst. But in this second incident, the suspect got out of his vehicle and started chasing the girl.
“Normally, when you hear something like that — somebody pulls up in a car — they may try to talk somebody in or entice them into the vehicle,” said Asst. Chief Steve Niekamp with the Hurst Police Department. “But to get a report that somebody gets out and chases after somebody is a little disconcerting.”
Luckily, both of the young girls were able to get away in each instance. The Birdville Independent School District is expected to send out a warning letter to parents about the suspicious man. But the question remains. Who is this man who tried to kidnap two different girls on three different occasions?
Police have described the suspect as a Hispanic male between 40 and 50 years old. He is between 5 feet 4 inches and 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs about 175 pounds. Authorities said that he is clean shaven with a shaved head on the sides. The vehicle in question is a black SUV, possibly a Chevrolet Avalanche or a Cadillac Escalade. The public has been urged to keep an eye out for anybody who matches this description.
- North Texas State Rep. Jonathan Stickland Not Seeking Re-Election: ‘It Was Never My Intention To Grow Old In Office’
- New Whataburger T-Shirt Tough For Texans To Digest
- Mother Charged With Capital Murder In Death Of 8-Year-Old Says ‘Demons’ Told Her To Sacrifice Her Son
- Driver Dies After He’s Ejected In Possible Street Race Off I-35E Overpass
- Tennessee Murder Suspect Shot, Killed After Stabbing West Texas Deputy
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures