DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Police investigators in Dallas are confirming the bodies found inside a home on the 1800 block of Browder street are those Nick Pitofsky, and his wife Vanessa Pitofsky. Detectives believe the grizzly find was the result of a murder-suicide.
Nick Pitofsky was a police sergeant in the small town of Crandall about 23 miles away from the scene of the deaths.
Those who knew Crandall described him as a kind officer who was very involved in the Crandall Community. They tell us he did a lot of work with the local high school students there.
Tarron Weeks, a student athlete at Crandall high said, “he was detailed to the high school about 2 years ago, and he’s just been kind of a role model to the school.”
Jessica Hendrick, who also knew the officer from her town streets described the news as ,”very very shocking and sad.”
The Crandall Police Department issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon:
“It is with a heavy heart we regret to inform the public that Nick Pitofsky and his wife, Vanessa, were found deceased in their Dallas apartment on 2/26 by the Dallas Police Department. Dallas PD is investigating the incident as a possible murder-suicide. No other information has been confirmed by DPD at this time. Nick Pitofsky was a Patrol Sergeant for the Crandall Police Department and has been employed with the city for two years. Nick was well respected by his peers and will be deeply missed by the city and department as a whole. Nick was an energetic and jovial person who got along with everyone. Nick was an extremely dedicated Police Officer for the City of Crandall and its citizens. Sergeant Nick Pitofsky will be deeply missed by his fellow Officers. The Crandall Police Department would also like to send our condolences to the family of both Nick and Vanessa Pitofsky.”
Dallas police would not elaborate on any details surrounding the circumstances of the deadly find except to say the couple was found dead of gunshot wounds after a welfare check was performed at the house they lived in. Nick Pitofsky is said to be the only suspect in the apparent murder-suicide.
This YouTube video shows Sgt. Nick Pitofksy on a range shoot.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Police Looking For Rape Suspect That Struck At Least Twice
- Fallen Fort Worth Officer Memorialized At Vigil Outside Police Headquarters
- Former Dallas Charter School Superintendent Says She Did Not Misuse Funds, CFO On Paid Leave
- Man Shot By Former Mesquite Officer Takes Stand In Trial: ‘I Was Scared, I Didn’t Know He Was Police’
- Dallas Hospital Finds Way Around IV Bag Shortage
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures