ALLEN (CBSDFW.COM) – The Allen Independent School District is closing its $60 million high school football stadium for “evaluation” after extensive cracking was found in the elevated concourse.
The district has now ordered a review of the entire facility, which is only about year and a half old. Meantime, student classes, activities and events have been relocated and the stadium will no longer be open for public use.
Allen ISD Interim Superintendent Beth Nicholas said the stadium will be closed until at least June. The closure will impact this year’s graduation events and possibly football games this fall.
“This is a significant investment for our community. We are very disappointed and upset that these problems have arisen. It is unacceptable,” she said.
The district says it first noticed some of the cracks just before the stadium opened. The architect and builder attributed them to normal shrinkage experienced by concrete. Since then, the district describes the cracks as more pervasive and wider than what would be normal with foundation cracking, anywhere from 1/4″ to 3/4.” No pictures of the cracks have been provided.
The district has hired an independent engineering company to evaluate the problem, and the review is expected to take several months. The district warns “aggressive action will be taken” and that the closure is being made out of an abundance of caution.
Allen Eagle Stadium opened in the Fall of 2012. The stadium features 18,000 seats, 192 bathrooms and a huge 75′ x 45′ scoreboard with a $1.3 million price tag.
Click below to read about the history of the stadium.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Astros Clinch Division Tie With 4-1 Victory Over Blue Jays
- Cruz Silent After Activists Confront Him, Wife In DC Restaurant
- North Texas Yorkie Dies Hours After Grooming
- Fallen Dallas Officer Honored
- A Sneak Peek Into One-Of-A-Kind Smart Home In Dallas
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures