WYLIE (CBSDFW.COM) – Authorities have arrested two teenagers from Wylie East High School after the body of a classmate was discovered late Saturday night. The victim has been identified as 17-year-old Ivan Mejia, and police believe that he was killed near the high school.
According to the Wylie Police Department, officers from Garland responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle in a wooded area near the Firewheel Mall. When the officers arrived at the area, they found the reported vehicle and two males running away from the scene. After a short amount of time, the teens returned to the vehicle and one of them told police that they were burying a body.
The two teenagers were arrested. Police found Mejia’s body in the area where the suspects were originally seen running. The names of the male suspects have not been released because they are juveniles. Police have also not said anything about a possible motive in this case. An autopsy is being conducted to determine the official cause of death.
The two teens have since been charged with murder. There will be a hearing for them on Monday.
The mother of one of the suspects released a statement to Joe Gomez of KRLD. She said, “We are in deep sorrow, shock and disbelief. Please respect our privacy in this dark time. Our hearts and prayers go out to all of the families involved.”
The Wylie Independent School District released a statement on Sunday which said, “The entire Wylie ISD community is shocked and saddened by this senseless act. We are cooperating with the police as they investigate, and we hope they will be able to provide us with some understanding of how this tragedy unfolded.”
- Alonso, Carrasco Lead Indians To 16-3 Win Over Rangers
- Some Dallas Apartment Residents Forced To Buy Their Own Air Conditioning Units
- Shooting Suspect In Custody After Standoff At LA Trader Joe’s; 1 Woman Killed
- Grandfather Charged After 4-Year-Old Accidentally Shoots, Kills 2-Year-Old Cousin
- Trump Finds It ‘Inconceivable’ Lawyer Would Tape A Client
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures