ARLINGTON, Texas (1080 KRLD) – The Texas Rangers are apologizing for fans who defaced a memorial statue at the first base entrance with garbage yesterday at Globe Life Park.
The monument on display at the ballpark is of late firefighter Shannon Stone who died after falling over the railing at a game in 2011. The statue was erected to honors all Rangers fans.
On Opening Day, angered fans took pictures of it with beer cans and other trash piled up on it just before the beginning of the game.
In a statement the Rangers organizations said “The Rangers certainly regret and apologize for the trash that accumulated on the statue at the home plate gate this afternoon. The Rangers Fans statue is a cherished component of Globe Life Park in Arlington and the club will make certain this situation does not occur in the future.”
Stone died at the ballpark as he tried to reach for a ball and fell over the railing in the outfield.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
[display-posts category=”news,sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures