PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – The Players Championship is changing this year to a three-hole aggregate playoff involving the closing stretch at the TPC Sawgrass.
PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem announced the new format Wednesday.
The Players Championship previously was a sudden-death playoff that began on the par-3 17th hole, famous for having an island green. Starting this year, a playoff would take place on the par-5 16th hole, the 17th, and the par-4 18th. If players are still tied, it would go to sudden death starting on the 17th.
The Players Championship is May 8-11. It becomes the only regular PGA Tour event to use a playoff format that is not sudden death.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Zoo Dollar Day Expected To Attract Thousands, Despite The Heat
- Trump, Putin Morph Into Same Person On Time Magazine Cover
- Zuckerberg: Holocaust Deniers Won’t Be Banned From Facebook
- Man Accused In UT Student’s Death Says He Didn’t Kill Her
- Stranger Joins Elderly Man In Celebrating His Late Wife’s Birthday
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures