PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – The Players Championship is changing this year to a three-hole aggregate playoff involving the closing stretch at the TPC Sawgrass.
PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem announced the new format Wednesday.
The Players Championship previously was a sudden-death playoff that began on the par-3 17th hole, famous for having an island green. Starting this year, a playoff would take place on the par-5 16th hole, the 17th, and the par-4 18th. If players are still tied, it would go to sudden death starting on the 17th.
The Players Championship is May 8-11. It becomes the only regular PGA Tour event to use a playoff format that is not sudden death.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Texas Superintendent Resigns After “Black Quarterback” Comment
- Flash Floods In Everman Damage Homes, Vehicles; Some Residents Displaced
- Woman, 5 Dallas Officers Rescued From Flooded Road
- Crews Recover Body Of 23-Year-Old Man In Creek Near UT Arlington Campus
- North Texans Deal With Heavy Rain, Flooding In Cities Across The Area
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures