RICHARDSON (CBSDFW.COM) — An 18-wheeler hit a brick embankment, lost control and caught fire Friday morning, shutting down U.S. Highway 75 near the Richardson-Plano border.
The driver was able to escape the truck without injury and was not transported to a hospital.
“I’m glad nobody got hurt because when we first arrived on the scene, they didn’t know where the driver was — so my thought process changes because I don’t want to have a dead person,” said Billy Gaston with the Richardson Fire Department. “So we’re glad that he self extricated and he’s okay.”
The driver of the truck was cited for failure to control speed, as police say he was traveling too fast for the conditions at 6:30 a.m.
All southbound lanes were closed at the George Bush Turnpike as police cleaned up the accident. The truck involved was carrying oil absorbent and had to be completely dismantled before crews can finish the clean up.
TxDOT did open two lanes of the southbound traffic shortly before noon.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Santa Fe School District Where 10 Killed To Use Metal Detectors
- Cardi B Leads MTV VMA Nominations As Show Returns To NYC
- Bicyclist Weaves Past Barriers & Falls Into Draw Bridge Gap
- Nickelodeon Announces New “Rugrats” Episodes & Movie
- Police Arrest Suspected Texas Serial Killer After Car Chase
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures