ROCKWALL (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A former police officer and Hunt County Constable imprisoned for the fatal shooting of his ex-girlfriend has been found dead in his state prison cell.
A statement from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Anthony Dewayne Lewis, 49, was found in his cell Wednesday at the Stiles Unit in Beaumont with an apparent self-inflicted laceration to the right side of his neck.
The Greenville Herald-Banner reports Lewis was serving a 60-year prison sentence for murder in the February 2013 death in Rockwall County of 33-year-old Jessica Aguilar. He also was convicted of aggravated assault in the wounding of 40-year-old Francisco Delacruz.
Lewis shot the two outside a movie theater near Leak Ray Hubbard, before leading police on a high-speed chase that ended when Lewis wrecked his vehicle. Officers then shot Lewis, who had a gun pointed at officers, before he could fire his weapon.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- 6 Juveniles Arrested For 4 Armed Robberies In Dallas
- Bell Chimes 17 Times At Memorial For Missouri Boat Victims
- Odor Leads Rangers Over Indians 5-0 In Scorching Texas Heat
- Memorial Set Up For Dallas Officer Killed By Suspected Drunk Driver
- WR Mike Evans Donates $11,000 To Family Of Police Shooting Victim Awarded $4 By Jury
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures