TARRANT COUNTY ( CBSDFW.COM) – A 30-year-old man was sentenced to 40 years in prison for killing a motorist during a road rage incident in May 2013 and, ten months later, shooting at sheriff’s deputies during a standoff south of Kennedale.

On Monday, Jesus Ray Ybarra pled guilty to five charges: murder for the May 11, 2013, shooting death of Jesse Garrison; bail jumping for failing to appear at a court date on January 7, 2014; and three cases of attempted capital murder for firing at three Tarrant County sheriff’s deputies on March 27, 2014.

READ MORE: Uber Driver Stabbed, Carjacked By Passenger In Grapevine, Police Say

In exchange for his pleas of guilty, prosecutor Tiffany Burks agreed to a 40-year prison term on the murder charge and to 40 years on each of the attempted capital murder charges. She also agreed to the maxi- mum 10-year sentence on the bail jumping charge. All of the sentences will run concurrently. Ybarra must serve half of his 40-year sentence before he is eligible for parole.

About 11:30 on May 10, 2013, Ybarra and another man—later identified as Jesse Garrison—were driving in separate vehicles west on East Maddox Avenue near Riverside Drive in Fort Worth. Both vehicles had passengers.

According to witnesses, Ybarra pulled up along Garrison’s vehicle and attempted to run them off the road. A short time later, the cars pulled over in the 1500 block of Milano Avenue and the occupants got out and began arguing. Ybarra pulled a gun and fired several shots, striking Garrison in the chest. Garrison was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital where he later died.

Ybarra was arrested and charged with murder but was later released after posting $50,000 bond. A warrant was issued for his arrest, however, after he failed to appear for a routine court setting on January 7, 2014. That warrant was still active on March 27, 2014, when sheriff’s deputies responded to a domestic disturbance call in the 7900 block of Grimsley-Gibson Road in unincorporated Tarrant County.

When they arrived, they found a woman outside the residence who claimed that her boyfriend  — Jesus Ybarra — became irate during an argument and had fired three rounds from a pump shotgun into the air. The woman’s baby was in her car.

READ MORE: Rangers Mourn Passing Of 'Cookie Lady' Shirley Kost

For the next two hours, Ybarra refused to come out of the residence and, on numerous occasions, fired a shotgun at three deputies on the scene. Eventually, a family member arrived and convinced Ybarra to surrender.

After his arrest, Ybarra stated he intended to kill the deputies.

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Latest News:

[display-posts category=”news,sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]

MORE NEWS: Dallas Detectives Searching For Woman Who Robbed Store Employee

Top Trending: