Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter
NATION (CBSDFW.COM) – Style icon Oscar de la Renta has died. The 82-year-old fashion designer was battling cancer. The official cause of his death hasn’t been released yet.
The Dominican-born designer was a favorite of former first lady Laura Bush. Oscar de la Renta designed the white dress and coat she wore to the swearing-in ceremony at her husband’s 2005 inauguration. It was a style moment etched into American history.
Mrs. Bush released the following statement Monday night: “George and I are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend, Oscar de la Renta. We will miss Oscar’s generous and warm personality, his charm, and his wonderful talents. My daughters and I have many fond memories of visits with Oscar, who designed our favorite clothes, including Jenna’s wedding dress. We will always remember him as the man who made women look and feel beautiful. George, Barbara, Jenna, and I send our heartfelt sympathy and prayers to Annette de la Renta, Alex and Eliza Bolen, and all of Oscar’s loving family and friends.”
De la Renta also dressed Jacqueline “Jackie” Kennedy Onassis during the ’60s; a style legend in her own right.
He created stunning gowns for fashion forward houses such as Lanvin and Balmain. Hollywood elite clamored for red carpet attention by wearing his creations.
De la Renta won numerous fashion awards during his illustrious career including the CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award and American Fashion Critic’s Award.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Prostitution Day And Night: Dallas Business Owner Says Police Ignoring Complaints
- Dallas Police Department Unveils Portraits Of Officers Killed In 2016 Ambush
- JPS Urged By Contractor Not To Repair Elevators Themselves Days Prior To Nurse’s Injury
- Trump Tweets ‘Complete And Total’ Endorsement Of Cornyn
- Texas Secretary Of State Appointee Sees Mounting Opposition After Releasing Flawed List Of Non-Citizen Voters