DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Do you constantly wake-up in the mornings feeling like you just didn’t get enough sleep?READ MORE: Dallas Police Chase Ends With Stolen Car Suspect In Custody, No Injuries
“It’s an extremely common problem,” said sleep expert Dr. Nebeel Farah. “People, when they start looking at their clocks at night, start getting frustrated and anxious. That only makes the problem worse.”
While Farah said there are all sorts of treatments available for various sleep disorders, he also said there are some simple sleep tips you may not be aware of.
Here are our top 5 surprising tips for a better night’s sleep:
1. Turn your thermostat down to somewhere between 60 and 67 degrees. Dr. Farah said most people sleep better in a dark and cool room.
2. If you haven’t replaced your pillow in the past 18 months, sleep experts say you should. Pillows not only lose their fluffiness over time but they become a magnet for dust mites.
3. You want your room to be quiet – just not too quiet. A soft fan or a white noise machine can help drown-out some noises that might otherwise disturb your rest.READ MORE: Plane Down Near Houston Executive Airport, No One Killed
4. Try repainting your room. Sleep experts say you want to make it’s a relaxing atmosphere, so stay away from bright and glossy paints. Instead use tranquil colors and a matte finish.
5. Set your alarm to go to bed. Dr. Farah said a consistent sleep schedule, even on the weekends, can be key.
“Even if you sleep-in 20 or 30 extra minutes on the weekend, it can really throw-off your sleep cycle,” Farah said.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
[display-posts category=”news,sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]MORE NEWS: Supply Chain Issues: 'There Really Are Problems Everywhere,' Even For Small Companies