Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Emergency crews responded to a five-alarm fire early Monday morning near Fair Park. The incident happened just after 3:00 a.m. at a warehouse in the 4100 block of Commerce Street in Dallas. Firefighters arrived at the scene to find thick smoke and flames.

READ MORE: Texas Rangers Introduce New Dynamic Duo Semien And Seager

The warehouse sits near a number of residential and commerical buildings, and dozens of people were evacuated as the smoke became too intense. There have been no injuries reported, and the flames did not spread to any other structures.

“We got our animals and we were making sure all our neighbors were getting out,” said Robert Lancaster. “I wasn’t too worried about our building, because it’s separated. And then, when I saw the embers, I was like, ‘Wow, this whole area could go down.'”

Kimberly Williams lives near the warehouse, and said that smoke filled up her apartment. She was able to escape with her 5-year-old grandson after he woke her up. “I’m almost 50 years old, I’ve never experienced this in my life, and it’s always been my greatest fear,” she stated. “Watching your life just go up in flames. I’m so thankful that he woke us up, because I was sleeping right through it.”

The family that owns the warehouse, used for their shutter business, has an apartment within the same building. They were all able to escape, along with two workers who were also there.

READ MORE: Texas Ban On Mask Mandates In Public Schools Is Back In Place

Firefighters initially tried to battle the fire offensively, but access to the blaze was difficult and the warehouse’s roof did eventually collapse. Crews assumed a defensive position, attacking the flames from overhead through the use of ladder trucks.

The fire was finally extinguished, and workers are now sifting through the debris and managing hot spots. The cause of the fire is being investigated.

This incident resulted in Dallas Area Rapid Transit delays early Monday morning. A portion of the Green Line was shut down, and shuttle buses were brought in to assist customers. No other lines were impacted, and service is now running smoothly again.

Latest News:

[display-posts category=”news,sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]

MORE NEWS: Texas Is Officially Tesla's New Home

Top Trending: