SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Charlie Strong still can recruit South Florida.
Tim Irvin, the nephew of the former Dallas Cowboys receiver, announced Saturday at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl that he would be going to the Longhorns. The Longhorns also got another commitment from Miami when Devonaire Clarington chose Texas. He played defense but is expected to get a look at tight end at UT.
Irvin, a defensive back, had a 35-yard punt return to set up the game’s first points on a field goal by Georgia commit Rodrigo Blankenship and LSU commit Derrius Guice had two long touchdown receptions to help the West beat the East 39-36 Saturday.
Guice, listed as a running back from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, lined up at the slot and got wide open for a 92-yard score from Anaheim, California, quarterback Travis Waller for the game’s first TD. He got wide open again on a 61-yard TD pass from Ventura, California, quarterback Ricky Town.
“I know I can play at the position the coaches want me to,” Guice said. “Today, the quarterback got in trouble and you’re supposed to help him out and do something. But I just ran my same route. Everybody flew at the quarterback and I was wide open.”
T.J. Rahming, who is committed to Duke, joined Guice with a pair of TD catches. Rahming, from Powder Springs, Georgia, scored one for the East on a flea-flicker.
Towson, Maryland receiver Lawrence Cager may have dealt the SEC a blow when he announced a commitment to Miami, though he still plans to visit Alabama and Nick Saban.
Cager, who’s nearing 7-feet in the high jump, had a 54-yard TD reception on a receiver-reverse pass from Deon Cain of Tampa, Florida. Cain, committed to Clemson, later scored on a 50-yard pass from Lee’s Summit, Missouri, quarterback Drew Lock.
“Coach Saban called me, and I’m still going to take a visit there,” Cager said. “I love the whole coaching staff at Miami. They reached out to me and told me I could ball at the next level.”
(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Toddler Caught In The Middle Of Dallas SWAT Standoff
- Bardwell Town Council Holds Emergency Meeting In Wake Of Police Chief And Son’s Deaths
- State Agency To Hear Arguments For Ending Estimated Gas Bills
- Driverless Vans Leaving Frisco For Arlington
- North Texas-Based Company Coordinated Cruise Ship Helicopter Rescues
- Good Samaritan Gunman Stops Assault In Progress
- Good Samaritan Who Stopped Assault Breaks Silence
- Keurig Recalls Millions Of Coffee Brewing Machines
- Mother Of Denton Break-In Suspect Speaks
- Fort Worth 17-Year-Old Arrested For Terrorist Threat