DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – As flames shot through the roof of a house in far north Dallas, neighbor Marques Lundy says he had to take action. “Pretty crazy, I was driving by and saw the smoke, figured they could use a hand.”
He went toward the side of the burning house and found homeowner Larry Haff inside.
Lundy says, “Smoke was real thick and I saw two palms coming out like that and it kind of stopped and I grabbed him, he was in shock and his hair was burned up.”
Haff says he is okay, but declined an on-camera interview.
At the time, Ed Fussell was inside the house talking to Haff when they heard a “thump” in the garage.
Fussell says, “We opened the door and there was nothing but flames and smoke.”
Firefighters say rounds of ammunition were going off in the garage. Nobody was hurt. But some neighbors tell me they’re concerned that the response may have been delayed.
This part of Dallas is in Collin County, and Fussell, Lundy, and various neighbors tell us when they called 911, they reached Carrollton’s emergency operators first and had to be transferred to Dallas.
Lundy says, “Getting pinged back and forth, asking the address four to five times and please hold, please hold.”
Dallas Fire-Rescue says its crews were dispatched shortly after 12 p.m.
We have called Dallas police and the city of Carrollton to determine when the first 911 calls came in.
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)