Dallas Independent School District administrator’s say a dead owl stuck in the ventilation system caused the ordeal.
Tuesday night CBS 11 News was sent a photo showing the trapped bird.
The district called the problem a “unique” incident, but parents say it should be a wake-up call to fix the aging school.
“The one thing that we expect from our schools at the very, very minimum is that our kids are safe,” she said.
Now, Glen worries her first grade son, Gus, isn’t safe. He was one of the many students who got sick as a result of a carbon monoxide buildup that forced an evacuation.READ MORE: Federal Government Investigating Texas' Ban On School Mask Mandates
Glen said the events on Monday and Tuesday simply highlight bigger problems. “This just makes it an eye opener that DISD needs to respond.”
Glen and other Lakewood parents say the bigger issue is the aging facility. One parent asked, “Does it take something really horrible happening for them to fix it?”
DISD spokesperson Jon Dahlander said, “In my 19 years I’ve never had an owl fly into a ventilation system.”
Dahlander said Lakewood is in need of repairs, but so are several other schools and everything that needs to be done costs money. He also said the school board is considering approving updates for schools in need, like Lakewood Elementary.
But the ‘what ifs’ and ‘whens’ only lead to more questions from parents.
“Am I supposed to send them (her children) there tomorrow?” Glen asked. “I mean what do I do? They need to wake up and fix some problems.”
As far as the repairs and updates happening anytime soon, parents like Glen say they’ll believe it when they see it.MORE NEWS: DFW Airport Tests Free 'Fast Pass' Program Allowing Travelers To Skip To Front Of TSA Checkpoint
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)