FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – CBS 11 is excited to team up with Wipe Out Kids Cancer.

It’s a North Texas non-profit that raises money for research and supports local families.

Each year approximately 12,000 children are diagnosed with cancer in the United States.

The people behind the non-profit organization “Wipe Out Kids Cancer” say that’s unacceptable and they are working to fight it.

Six-year-old Carson Hurley benefited from decades of research at pediatric cancer hospitals. So has Lance Gorton and seven-year-old Gabrielle Fox , who is now in remission. “It’s critical that organizations like WOKC raise funds and provide that money for pediatric cancer research… It’s critical,” explains Gabrielle’s father Albert.

Last year “Wipe Out Kids Cancer” raised $1.5 million for this type of research and over four million in the last 35 years.

That money has helped lead to new ways to diagnose and treat these young cancer patients and that’s monumental for their families.

The most common form of Leukemia in children is Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). The CEO of Wipe Out Kids Cancer, Evelyn Costolo says, “In the 50’s, and 60’s and even in the 70’s ALL was something that, if a child was told they had that, it was a 10 percent or less chance that they would survive that diagnosis. Today it’s over 90 percent. And many of the children do not suffer long term.”

The fight to wipe out pediatric cancer is personal for Costolo. Her godson, Michael Malone, was diagnosed with the disease when he was just four years old – one week before Christmas. “He battled for two and a half years and unfortunately we lost Michael in June of 2012,” said Costolo. Now it is her mission, and the mission of Wipe Out Kids Cancer to work relentlessly for a day when all children are living cancer free just like Lance.

“I’m happy and I have my friends and nothing really hurts anymore,” says a happy Lance.