Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

GARLAND (CBSDW.COM) – A late night barbeque sparked a fire at a house in Garland. The family was grilling in their garage on Briar Way when flames somehow spread upward.

READ MORE: North Texas Police Officers Escort Body Of Euless Detective Killed By Drunk Driver To Funeral Home

Garland Fire Department spokesperson Merrill Balanciere explained, “The occupant tried to put it out, but I believe it was a BBQ grill which right where it was in the garage that it [fire] got up into the attic and once it got to the attic it spread throughout the roof.”

While there was no damage inside the house, the roof and attic space were completely lost to the flames. “When you have a fire like that it’s pretty much… they’re gonna have to do rewiring,” Balanciere said, adding, “It [damage] was all in the attic area.”

READ MORE: AP Source: Rangers Have Agreement With Semien On 7-Year Deal

When first responders arrived at the scene Balanciere said they found one person injured. “The person who was doing to cooking, he got some burns to the face, some smoke inhalation and was transported to Parkland Hospital.”

No word on the man’s condition, but his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames.

MORE NEWS: VIDEO: Menorah Lighting At The Dallas Galleria Kicks Off Festival Of Lights

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)