By: Josh Clark
While major injuries were avoided in week six, there are plenty of players to snatch off waiver wires this week.
Here are my pickups for Week 7:
1. James Starks (GB/RB) – There have been some huge busts this season…Eddie Lacy is no doubt one of them. James Starks was on fire against the Chargers in week six, rushing for 112 yards and a touchdown, while adding a 5-yard touchdown reception. Coach Mike McCarthy said after the game that Lacy was still “a little banged up,” but added that the team will go with the “hot hand” going forward.
2. Christine Michael (DAL/RB) – Michael is finally going to get his opportunity in the Cowboys backfield. After losing three straight, the Cowboys are making changes to their offense this week, hoping to spark some energy into the group is the former second round pick out of Texas A&M. Michael has two carries for 5 yards since being active for the first time in week four against New Orleans. Cowboys RBs coach Gary Brown told the team’s website that the Cowboys want to take the “reins” off Christine Michael and “let him rock.”
3. Stefon Diggs – (MIN/WR) – Six receptions for 87 yard & seven receptions for 129 yards. Those are the stat lines for Diggs in weeks five and six. The rookie out of Maryland has been compared to Antonio Brown by teammate Mike Wallace. Wallace would know a thing or two about Brown, seeing that they played together in Pittsburgh for four seasons. Charles Johnson has been out with a rib injury the last two weeks, however he wasn’t doing much of anything in the first three weeks of the season (6 catches/46 yards). It remains to be seen if Johnson will regain his starting role with how well Diggs has played, but with those lackluster numbers Johnson has put up, you can take a shot on Diggs paying off.
4. Marvin Jones (CIN/WR) – Marvin Jones might already be picked up in a lot of fantasy leagues. If not, it’s evident that the Cincinnati Bengals offense isn’t letting up. Andy Dalton continues to sling the ball around the field to A.J. Green, Jones and Tyler Eifert. As Green received a lot of attention from Buffalo defenders in week six, Jones had 9 catches for 95 yards and a touchdown.
5. Blake Bortles (JAX/QB) – Bortles has had back to back 300 yard games. Yes, they were against Tampa Bay and Houston, but you can see Bortles stats for the entire season and make a great case that he needs to be on your roster, especially with all of the injuries to some of the top quarterbacks this season (Romo, Luck, Roethlisberger) and ineffective play by another (Peyton Manning). Bortles has the weapons to throw to with the return of Julius Thomas, in addition to Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson.
Other Pickups: Rishard Matthews, Brandon LaFell, Michael Floyd, Brian Hoyer, Theo Riddick & Robert Turbin
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)