Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

WEATHERFORD (CBSDFW.COM) – A Weatherford mother’s been arrested for capital murder in the death of her newborn baby.

Police say shortly after 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, a man called the Weatherford Police Department saying his estranged wife, who was allegedly pregnant with his child, had contacted him via text message and told him that she had given birth to their baby and that the baby was dead.

The man told the dispatcher he was concerned the mother had harmed the baby and asked if the department would send an officer to her house to check on the mother and baby.

Police arrived on scene and made contact with the alleged birth mother, who was identified as Ashley Nicole Blades, 22. During the interview, the officer asked Blades where the baby was and she told the officers the baby was in the trunk of her car.  Blades gave them the keys and when they opened the trunk officers found a deceased infant wrapped up with a towel inside a plastic bag.

Blades was immediately detained at that point for further investigation.

After a more thorough interview with Blades she told detectives that she had given birth to the infant Monday morning at her residence.

Police say she admitted at one point during the day she was trying to keep the crying baby quiet so she covered the infant’s nose and mouth for a minute or two.

The mother noted after she did that, the baby never cried or seemed the same after that point. Later Monday evening Blades says she went to check on her baby and found the infant dead.

Police say there is no indication at this point in the investigation Blades ever sought medical attention for the child at any time over the last two days.

Weatherford Police Commander Chris Crawford says, “We’re hoping to get a better picture to what her mental state was leading up to all of this.”

Blades was taken into custody and booked into the Parker County Jail on the charge of Capital Murder and Abuse of Corpse.

A search warrant was obtained for the residence and investigators and crime scene worked late into the evening last night to process the home.

The deceased infant was transported to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy. Results of the autopsy are pending.

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)