Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

GREENVILLE (CBS11)  – He spent hours evading police and drove an 18-wheeler along three different North Texas interstates. The driver, 60-year-old David Arnold faces serious charges including evading arrest and felony unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

An officer tried pulling Arnold over along I-20 in Kaufman County, but he ended up leading them all the way to Greenville. Now investigators are trying to figure out why he made them chase him for more than an hour.

As officers followed the semi-truck from Garland to Greenville, people along the way worried how it would end. Multiple agencies helped to deflate some of the truck’s tires. Jeff Wooten’s son watched as the pursuit went right by their home.

“He said there was just, actually one of the helicopters, he said when it went over the yard, it was blowing the leaves around in the yard, and there was smoke coming out behind the truck,” Wooten said.

A crowd formed by the side of the westbound lanes of I-30 when the truck finally came to a stop. Wooten watched through binoculars as officers tried to negotiate then brought in an armored truck and fired tear gas through the windshield.

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

“I don’t think the first one made it through because there was gas that fell down, and then I guess they shot a second shot. I heard the second one and it went through, and of course you saw a little bit of smoke,” Wooten said.

Investigators say Arnold was supposed to be hauling fresh produce to Maryland, but his company lost contact with him.

“The truck’s owners are out of California, and they were monitoring the vehicle with electronic tracking because it has been overdue for 30 hours. The driver hadn’t reported in,” Texas Department of Public Safety Sgt. Lonny Haschel said.

Neither the driver nor a dog that jumped out of the truck were hurt. Police say they don’t know why Arnold refused to pull over.

As a result, the chase caused a massive traffic problem for eastbound drivers along I-30.

“I hope they take him to the full extent of the law. I mean he’s impacted a whole lot of lives today,” Wooten said.

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)