Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

FORT WORTH (CBS11) – As lovers get ready to celebrate Valentine’s Day this weekend, veterinarians are asking us all to be mindful of some hazards from gifts that could poison pets.

Dr. Jason Doolittle from VCA Fort Worth Animal Medical Center says, “The most common emergency that we deal with is chocolate toxicity.”

He says flowers also can lead to an animal being poisoned.

In addition, he says burning candles that get knocked over mostly by curious cats are also becoming a common hazard.

Dr. Doolittle says in many cases the cats get burned and covered by scalding wax.

“It’s a disaster to try and take care of because the pets have to be anesthetized and shave off all the fur,” says Doolittle.

But aside from the candy, flowers and candles, Dr. Doolittle says there is one more hazard that is specific to Valentine’s Day.

“ On occasion…dogs will eat whatever smells good…so I always remind people to be mindful of their intimate garments…unfortunately it does happen all too often,” says Doolittle.

Dr. Doolittle says if at any moment your pet shows signs of being poisoned you should rush them to an animal hospital immediately.

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)