MIAMI (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A bail hearing is set for the Florida man accused of orchestrating the heist of $4.8 million in gold bars from a truck along Interstate 95 in North Carolina.
Prosecutors want a judge at Tuesday’s hearing to keep 46-year-old Adalberto Perez jailed until his trial. Perez’s attorney is seeking bail.
Perez faces robbery and firearm charges in the 2015 heist. The FBI says Perez used a GPS device to track the tractor-trailer and released pepper spray by remote control to sicken the driver and a passenger before the robbery in Wilson County.
The 275-pound load of gold was heading from Miami to Massachusetts when three armed thieves intercepted it, bound the hands of the two people in the truck and fled in a van. More arrests are expected.
Here in North Texas, it wasn’t a robbery but an open door on a Brinks truck that made news. Last year, Weatherford police started receiving calls about drivers stopping along Interstate-20 to pick up loose cash scattered along the roadway and median.
Police said the bills came from a Brinks armored truck that had an open side passenger door. Officials said while a number of people made off with the cash they found, many people returned the money they scooped up.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)