by Brooke Rogers | CBS11

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

IRVING (CBS11) – Mother Nature is making cleanup difficult after a massive flood in Irving Wednesday night.

Apartments and vehicles were underwater due to a broken water main.

Two million gallons of water came rushing in – at times two to three feet high.

Even when it wasn’t raining on Thursday, a torrent of water descended on the Newport Apartments.

“We heard this pop, and we were like, ‘what is that?’ And then all of a sudden, we just saw a gush of water,” said resident Beverly Faggins.

The water poured into vehicles and tore through apartments.

In my car, it had a good two feet of water,” said resident Steven Kelly.

For Lecreta Jones, it destroyed everything in its path.

“When I got ready to come back in the house, the water was up to the door. And when I opened the door, water was everywhere,” she said.

Thursday brought the first attempts at cleanup – removing soaking belongings and assessing the damage.

City crews power-washed the parking lot and sidewalk and began cleaning up mud and debris. An Irving spokesperson said the failure of a 24-inch mainline beneath the water tower is to blame.

Residents said they were stranded while the water continued to flow.

“The water ran for two hours. It was terrible. We were very afraid. We didn’t know what to do,” said Faggins.

A city spokesperson said there is a shut-off valve but that the water main broke in a place where there was no way to stop the flow. But the residents who lost everything want answers – and a promise that the city will pay for the damage.

“Somebody need to be held accountable, and it needs to be fixed,” said Jones.

The city and the apartment management have been working together to help residents make those claims. Residents with water damage are asked to visit the Newport leasing office for more information.

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)