Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

HURST (CBSDFW.COM) – An off-duty Fort Worth police captain was arrested early Wednesday morning in Hurst after crashing into another vehicle and seriously injuring that driver.

Captain Daniel Humphries is charged with intoxication assault.

The accident happened just after 2 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of the TEXpress lanes along State Highway 121, near Norwood Drive.

According to the police report, Humphries was stopped in the right lane of the 400 block of SH 121 when he was rear ended by Mark Holley, 52.  Humphries’ car spun around into traffic and ended up in the left lane facing the wrong way.

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

Hurst police investigators say the Humphries, 45, was getting back onto the road from the shoulder when the crash happened.

Officials with MedStar Emergency Services say they took Holly to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth with non-life-threatening injuries.

Hurst Fire Department first-responders spent 40 minutes freeing him from his mangled vehicle. The man appeared to have serious injuries at the scene, but his condition at the hospital isn’t known.

SHumprhies was returning from another police officer’s retirement party when the crash happeendd.

The Fort Worth Police Department has placed Humphries on “restricted duty” and the Internal Affairs Unit has started their own investigation into the crash. Humphries had been with Fort Worth PD since 1992 and was the commander of the traffic division.

“What we do know is that Captain Humphries has a stellar police record,” said Tim Choy who said he is Humphries’ attorney. “And once we have the opportunity to get the case we will commit fully and look at the charges, if there are any, and defend captain Humphries.”

On Twitter the department also stated how police officers should “adhere to the law,” but also said due process should happen before judgement is made.

Former Mayor Betsy Price said in a statement:  “It’s an incredibly unfortunate situation for all involved. Our thoughts go out to the individual involved in the accident and their family. And we feel for Captain Humphries and his family as well. As this is an open investigation, it will be up to Chief Fitzgerald to handle discipline.”

The eastbound TEXpress managed toll lanes were closed for nearly five hours as police investigated. The lanes were reopened before rush hour.

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)